The Atari 130-XE was first shown at the Winter Las Vegas Consumer Electronic Show in 1985 (with the Atari 130 ST), it has the same characteristics as the Atari 800 XL except its added memory (128 KB instead of 64 KB for the 800 XL).
The extended memory can be used as a RAM disk, or can be accessed by bank switching routines.
It was an attempt to extend the life of the old XL series, but Atari abandoned it pretty quickly to concentrate on promoting the ST series, which uses the same case style.
Several XE machines were also produced :
- the Atari 65-XE (which is exactly like the 800 XL, except for the rear parallel connector, which it doesn't have),
- the Atari XE Game Console (1987) which is a 65-XE with an optional detachable keyboard. It was Atari Corp.'s attempt to do what they felt the 5200 should have been.
- the 65-XEM (a computer with a special custom sound chip called "Amy"). Reports stated that the Amy chip sounded better than the Commodore 64's SID chip (!). This machine would never be released,
- the 65-XEP (Atari's answer to the Commodore SX-64, it would never be released either),
- and a modified 65XE was sold in Europe as the 800XE.
The Atari 65-XE and 130-XE will have a very short life due to the 16 bit home computer competition.
The XEGS differed from the 65XE in another way: It had the game Missile Command built in. If you held Select key down (maybe it was Start or Option) when turning on the machine, Missile Command would start.
Please consider donating your old computer / videogame system to Old-Computers.com or one of our partners.
The different colors are the result of a bad video connection to you monitor. Try changing out the interface that connects to your monitor
Sunday 26th November 2017
I am a owner of a 130XE since new in 1985, it was in the box for over 20years when decided to see if it still works. I was surprise to see it did but after a hour I had it running as I was doing the self test, the video started to show and different colors...and still even after I turn it on and off... Anyone has any idea what is happening?