Click Here to visit our Sponsor
The Latest News ! The History of Computing The Magazine Have Fun there ! Buy books and goodies
  Click here to loginLogin Click here to print the pagePrinter ViewClick here to send a link to this page to a friendTell a FriendTell us what you think about this pageRate this PageMistake ? You have mr info ? Click here !Add Info     Search     Click here use the advanced search engine
Browse console museumBrowse pong museum









 

Ready prompt T-shirts!

see details
C64 maze generator T-shirts!

see details
Spiral program T-shirts!

see details
BASIC code T-shirts!

see details
Pixel Deer T-shirts!

see details
Breakout T-shirts!

see details
Vector ship T-shirts!

see details
Shooting gallery T-shirts!

see details
Pixel adventure T-shirts!

see details
Pak Pak Monster T-shirts!

see details




I > IPTVT (TRAIAN VUIA POLYTECHNICAL INSTITUTE) > MicroTim


IPTVT (TRAIAN VUIA POLYTECHNICAL INSTITUTE)
MicroTim

Spectrum clones manufactured in Romania, by  George Done:
As far as I know this is the list of the Spectrum clones manufactured in Romania:
1 - HC-85, HC90, HC91, HC91+, HC2000 Produced by ICE Felix in Bucharest is without doubt the most prevalent factory produced clone. At times in 1990 and 1991, people were waiting in queue for many hours in front of the little shop owned by the factory while just completed computers were brought it (2 or 3 at a time). No wonder some batches were not very stable.
2 - TIM-S, MicroTIM and derivates produced at Timisoara Politehnic Institute were mostly distributed in schools. Being delivered with a monitor and a suitable tape recorder were, in my experience quite trouble free.
3 - CIP-01-CIP04 produced by Electronica Factory in Bucharest. First version had only 2KB ROM (and 64KB RAM) containing a Tape Loader. The original Spectrum ROM code could be loaded from tape into RAM at 0000-4000 after which it would operate as a normal Spectrum. First versions had a poorly stabilized power supply, very sensitive to fluctuations. This in combination with the fact that you had to load the ROM into RAM from tape made them less popular. Later versions eliminated both annoyances.
4 - JET-EM Manufactured by Electromagnetica Bucharest (A company that was producing deskphones and coin operated payphones). Was sold as a TV game appliance. The main problem was the keyboard that needed cleaned with alcohool (!) every 2 weeks Copper contacts on a PCB were supposed to be closed by a piece of "carbon rubber" when a key was pressed.
5 - CoBRA (From Computers Brasov, a city in central Romania) I agree with another poster, was the best implementation. The only problem was that not more than several hundreds were produced by the factory (and were distributed to "Centres of computing". But many tens of thousands were manufactured (and sold) by hobbysts, mostly students. In this later case about 90% were stripped down versions of the factory design without floppy drive or CP/M and were usually built into cases produced for another clone, the HC-91. The rest of 10% were, on the contrary, expanded versions of the factory design with 80KB RAM and 64KB ROM (section 1, original Spectrum, section 2 CP/M, section 3 modified Spectrum to operate a Robotron printer and the floppy disk drive and section 4 containing an advanced Assembler/Dissasembler (based on GENS/MONS)).
6 - The so called Maracineanu version developed by Romanian Army. His schematics were published in a book and produced by several enthusiasts. I do not think the army ever produced more than few prototypes.

If there are other Romanian Spectrum clones that I left out, I would be glad to hear.





 
Click here to go to the top of the page   
Contact us | members | about old-computers.com | donate old-systems | FAQ
OLD-COMPUTERS.COM is hosted by - NYI (New York Internet) -