Professor V. Baltac said in the Conference "Computers and Computer Networks in Romania between 1953-2001", from The Romanian Academy, at 22 nov. 2001 that the years 1950 had marqued a Romanian priority in Romanian computing techniques.
Three computing techniques schools were then created:
- Bucharest - IFA (Institutul de Fizica Atomica - The Athomical Physics Institute),
- Timisoara - MECIPT (Masina Electronica de Calculat a Institutului Politehnic Timisoara - Electronical Computing Machine of the Polytechnical Institute of Timisoara),
- Cluj - DACICC (Dispozitiv Automat de Calcul al Institutului de Calcul din Cluj - Automated Computing Dispositive of the Computing Institute of Cluj).
MECIPT was a typical first generation computer.
- Over 2000 electronic tubes,
- Tens of thousands passive components,
- Words of 30 bits,
- As external memory - drum equivalent of 3 kb,
- Data was input into computer by punched paper tape,
- As a printer was an electrical typing machine.
Its speed was about 50 operations/second and it was programmed in machine code.
MECIPT was one of the first romanian computers... It worked for the first time... I guess around 1961-1962.
Thanks to Stefan Deli for all this information.
We need more info about this computer ! If you designed, used, or have more info about this system,
please send us pictures or anything you might find useful.