Forum Home Forum Home > Old computers > Old PC compatible systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

69 pin processor ?? what is it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
funylinks2004 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote funylinks2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 pin processor ?? what is it?
    Posted: 21 February 2005 at 10:43am
HI, ive got a motherboard on computer, with a bios chip "AMI bios, copyright 1989, 386 BIOs"
The chipset is a Am-386(tm)DX-40------(40Mhz i think it stands for??)
It says above "Advanced Micro Devices" (AMD)
-but....i assumed that it was (the motherboard) for a 386, as said on the chipset and the bios, so i look up 386 processors, and i find a few on ebay, but then i take a look at this one 386 processor, and it has a pic of it upside down, showing the pins, and it doesnt match up with the 'holes' in the motherboard. If anybody could help me find out what processor this computer takes, that would be great. Also, the number of 'holes' on the cpu socket is 69. It looks like this

***  &nb sp;   **
       **  &nbs p;    **
       **  &nbs p;    **
       **  &nbs p;    **
       **  &nbs p;    **
       **  &nbs p;    **
       **  &nbs p;    **
-note, it's in the shape of a squre and not a rectangle like it sorta came out as, also, If anybody knows why, if this is for a 386, like i suspected, why the 386 processor on ebay i saw a picture of had a different arrange of pins.. Thank you so much for your help
Bob Smith
G Ray88 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote G Ray88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2005 at 8:53pm
It looks like a upgrade processor for a 386, I have some out in my shop. I will check later and see if I can find it.
Hogg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Hogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2005 at 8:32pm
I tried sign on as G Ray88 but for some reason it wouldn't work, my name now is Hogg haven't had any free time to look in my shop yet.
General View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote General Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 1:54pm
Am386(tm)DX-40 is not a chipset but a 386 processor made by AMD (the fastest 386 processor ever made). I have exactly the same processor (but my processor is stuck on motherboard). Unfortunely, neither the motherbord or the processor function anymore (a friend just "burn" them and made them completely useless). I think that socket you mention is in fact for the math coprocessor (the first 386 sistems did not have the socket for later coprocessor).
The computer can function without math coprocessor.
Hogg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Hogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2005 at 10:00pm

I miss read the first post, after looking in the shop I found some Intel processors 386DX the smaller one in your picture looks like the math co-processor, I still have a few MB's that have the co-processor socket. I thought that the processor was a AMD-386, but that was one for a 486.

I have forgotten how large the early MB's were, 286-386 you could almost squeeze two newer ATX MB's in the same space. Good Luck

funylinks2004 View Drop Down

Quote funylinks2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2005 at 8:14pm
WELL... I found out my problem... I had a bad video card, hehe. I put in a spare one i found laying around, and it worked! It was actually updated, the bios in 1992. I have never used an old bios setup before, and was surprised to see that it is fairly similar to the modern, (1996-today), is what i call modern, bios's. I had found out earlier that the 40Mb hdd that came with this comp has dos 6.22 on it, and a 1.2Mb 5 1/4" fdd, so hopefully now i can complete this project and install windows 3.1 on it. Im still not done setting up the bios yet, but it's comming!(and might ask for help later)
-Thanks for all your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply