Forum Home Forum Home > Old computers > Old Macintosh computers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Classic just stopped working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pdmelo View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pdmelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Classic just stopped working
    Posted: 29 March 2012 at 5:42am
Hello.

I have a Mac Classic that has recently stoped working. I'll start by describing what happened:

A received the Classic a few years ago and it has been working ok.

One thing that always caught my attention was that the startup bong has was very low (volume wise) and changing the volume had no real effect on the system. The volume was always low.

The last time it worked there was no startup bong the the computer booted OK (I wasn't wathing it boot, so I don't know if it took longer, or not, than usual).

The computer was used for cheking diskettes and copy some files for and from an external HD and it was left on for several hours.

After a while a noticed the the computer "hanged/crashed". I had a still image on screen but no response from the keyboard or mouse.

I tried to reboot the computed but I only got horizontal stripes.

I replaced the battery, cleaned the motherboard (with PCB cleaner) and replaced all of the following capacitors: C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C8 and C9.

I still only get perfect horizontal stripes.

What could be the problem now??

Thanks,
Paulo Melo
dbmac View Drop Down

Quote dbmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2013 at 5:07pm
Maybe the caps on the lb are leaking, best thing to do is take the lb out and remove the battery and simms, any other add on boards and make up some dish water in the sink and wash it clean with a soft brush, pay attention to areas around caps, dry with a paper toll, use a hairdryer to further get water off and dry board, then let set for a few days, make sure water is gone before stating, if smoke turn off and let dry longer, I have used circuit board sealer around the caps after drying to seal the caps up. this should get the computer working. Sometimes you have to replace the caps if this does not work.
Make sure the battery is good and all the simms are on the board are good, simms can also be the problem of lines.
you are on your own if you try this, but it has worked for me.
DBMAC
dbmac View Drop Down

Quote dbmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2013 at 12:16am
Also you can adjust the monitor video out, there is a manual on the internet for the SE30 that shows you how to go though the full adjustment procedure. It said if I remember if you replace the caps you need to this
to bring everything back in sync.
DBMAC
 Post Reply Post Reply