Forum Home Forum Home > Old videogame systems > Pong systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I used to manufacture the old Pong games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
machine View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I used to manufacture the old Pong games
    Posted: 11 February 2012 at 12:12pm
I found a circuit somewhere and started making the Pong game. It was fun. I mounted a few in boxes for people to play and started selling them.

They were simple minded things with only about 45 of the 74 series TTL logic gates for 'intelligence' but people were fascinated with them. You coud make an entire game now in an Arduino in software for one tenth of the price and in one twentieth of the time.
barythrin View Drop Down

Quote barythrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 2:00pm
That's really neat, do you remember what circuit or something out there today on doing games like that? A similar post on another forum (programming pong on Apple II) brought the question from me up again on how did you program it so the computer would lose or was it just two player human error at the time? I know allowing for a much quicker movement via paddles probably helped by allowing the human to overcompensate vs moving +1 or -1 unit.

When I programmed it years back just as a proof of concept to myself (after realizing bouncing a ball around the screen was pretty simple) I ended up with that problem. Ball and players both move a y +/- 1 so really if you were paying attention neither player could really ever lose. If I let the ball move +/- 2 then both of us would lose too often.
machine View Drop Down

Quote machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 11:08pm
There was no programming, no microprocessor. All the game intelligence was in the hardware.

There's probably still some old circuits around the net somewhere. Someone would have those things.

What are you doing now?
barythrin View Drop Down

Quote barythrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 2:16pm
Eh, nothing too interesting myself. System administration, computer collecting. I don't program too many things as often as I used to but mostly due to lack of free time. When I was younger programming for my friends and I was just about as interesting as gaming. Just a challenge to ourselves to see what we could do and amuse ourselves. This was all after the microcomputer revolution though, not nearly as interesting as electronics and hardware logic.

I did find an old book at the bookstore that was about the concept of video on te.ion. Course it's sitting my cool pile awaiting the free time to actually read it.
 Post Reply Post Reply