Forum Home Forum Home > Old computers > Old desktop computers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about simm ram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kbit View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about simm ram
    Posted: 11 November 2011 at 5:31pm
I found some info on my canon innova and the max memory {64mb} .{thanks jenner} Unfortunatly it doesn`t tell me what kind . My question is " Can I identify type from existing chips and what info to look for? " I can buy simm ram from oempcworld.com {I`ve got a boxfull but most didn`t work with motherboard} and of course I wish to get the proper kind.
jenners View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jenners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2011 at 4:02am
what i do is take one of the ram out the pc and on ram there will be little black chips, Might be a brand name on them like samsung, NEC etc, underneath is usually a code, type this info into a search engine,(I use dogpile.com) and it hopefully will come up with what type of ram you have how many pins etc, and if you are lucky somewhere that is selling them, but if you know the ram type Ebay is always good place to look for cheapish ram(depends on the seller lol)

if there is a link for crucial.com i recommend using that as they are very accurate with info on ram, also tell you maximum memory your board can take and also max ram for each slot.

link for you hopefully it is of some use

http://www.computermemoryupgrade.net/adding-more-memory.html

Hope this is of some use to you.

Edited by terrapindundee - 15 November 2011 at 11:22am
Mike Newcomb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Mike Newcomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2011 at 11:02am
Hi Kbit,

my experience is, the most accurate information on ram is in the User manual.

Do you have one?

You have not provided the model number of your Canon, so I could not google it.

Good Luck - Mike

Edited by terrapindundee - 15 November 2011 at 11:21am
kbit View Drop Down

Quote kbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2011 at 1:36pm
http://www.thinkcp.com/helpguide/specific.asp?Model=334
that`s my model by name but i only have 3 slots
http://www.thinkcp.com/helpguide/specific.asp?Model=332 so even this info seems questionable. my model name is the first link and my no. of slots match the second link, maybe my model is of the first run using older motherboard?? anyway my simms are edo, here is stuff off the sticker 4mx32edo60 and the chips have a {symbol} a circle with a box of 9 dots in upper left of circle. #9741ts and underthat is #v53c511740602k50
so i either have 40mb max or 64mb max 40 seems right with 3 slots 16+16+4+4onboard
Mike Newcomb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Mike Newcomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2011 at 2:22pm
Hi Kbit, please provide the following information:-

a) is this a desktop pc?

b) which country was it bought in? and do you know when?

c) do you have 3 *FREE* slots for memory?

d) do you have the User Manual?

Thanks - Mike

Edited by Mike Newcomb - 16 November 2011 at 4:49am
jenners View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jenners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2011 at 4:03am
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Micron-4MX32EDO60-16Mb-72pin-36FP-60ns-SIMM-/220894475584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336e563540#ht_500wt_1156

whichever motherboard of the options you have, 1 slot at least can take a 16 mb stick.

you need to try and get hold of the manual for your pc, yes it is a good starting point, but my experience is it is not as accurate as you think, the link i gave you only had specific memory it would take, you need to try and go to flee markets or computer antique fair in America and have a look around for the manual as it will probably list more ram you can use for your board, of course that would depend on your finances, ability to travel etc as i don't know you lol, or you could post in a few .s if anyone has the manual for your computer.

manuals are good to a degree and a good starting point but don't give all the info you need, i have various motherboards that the manual says only take dual core cpu, but go to the website and they can now take quad cpu,but just going by the manual i would never have known that, i know i am talking about newer type motherboards etc but without the website link for your board you would never know all the info you require(i have tried looking for it but its as though your board doesn't exist) as they could have updated and made it more compatible with other types of ram, i have ram in some of my boards that are not listed in the manual(esp higher spec ram), it is sometimes trial and error.

If you can, not sure because of your memory specs,access to older windows O/S etc try and get online (using the board you want memory for) go to Crucial.com and let it scan your system and will tell you what type of ram you need and how much it will take, the ram will probably be expensive for crucial, but use this info and do search on ebay etc for second hand ram that will be a lot cheaper.

kbit View Drop Down

Quote kbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 6:46pm
sidelined by nasty cold, but better now. retried some ram i had { maybe new since last time i tried } and i`m good to go. 16mb in each slot { 3 } so more than enough to play with . i will try to network this machine and get it on the internet.
Oh, and Mike , it`s a canon innova 486e Model 25/120 desktop/tower {little plastic feet to stand it on its side}, only info i know on the net is [http://www.thinkcp.com/helpguide/specific.asp?Model=334] but i only have 3 free slots and 4 mb onboard which kinda matches [http://www.thinkcp.com/helpguide/specific.asp?Model=332 ] and I know it was original { i got it off original owner } and had not been opened until i started tinkering with it. anyways, thanks
kbit View Drop Down

Quote kbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 12:39am
had to completely tear down computer. good news is more info , i think this board is a modified ACER V6 MOTHERBOARD 92109 48.40401.001 SOCKET-A. bad news is corroded pin on cmos battery { br1225 } soldered on board { both pins now broke flush } good news ,connecter for ext bat { hope it is for cmos!} and like i said i`ve got 48mb { disable onboard 4mb by jumper or only 40mb } so i`m off to google my new found info.
kbit View Drop Down

Quote kbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 3:54am
found this: http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/acer/mb/v6.htm
and jumper settings! which seem to match mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply