Forum Home Forum Home > General > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

80's educational computer show_PBS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dracolith7 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dracolith7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 80's educational computer show_PBS
    Posted: 13 September 2011 at 11:52pm
Does anyone remember the title to an 80's educantional computer show that used to come on PBS? The show was about computers & data proccessing. They would have interviews with Grace Hopper.

I have racked my brain and looked on the internet for a VERY long time and come up with nothing.

P.S. The show isn't Computer Cronicles or the Internet Cafe.

Thanks,
John
jenners View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jenners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2011 at 8:07am
have you been through this list? see if you recognise any of the names, like wired science etc.

http://www.pbs.org/programs/
crookedmouth View Drop Down

Quote crookedmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2011 at 4:51pm
Could it be The Computer Programme? I used to watch this on PBS in the 80's. Of course it is a BBC show. I loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UfOIfuYJT8
Computers in order:
Radio Shack TRS-80 MC-10 w/16k upgrade
Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga 500 w/1MB upgrade
Commodore 128D
became a Windows "PC" user :\
Apple IIgs w/ 512KB Board

dracolith7 View Drop Down

Quote dracolith7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 10:27am
Thank you for the replies. I have finally found the title of the program. It was an Annenberg cpb project, titled "The New Literacy: An Introduction to Computers". I found that only a few technical college libraries have the series on VHS. I don't think I will be seeing this again any time soon.

Descript

13 videocassettes (60 min. ea.) sd., col. 1/2 in

Note

VHS format

2 parts on each cassette

Major funding provided by the Annenberg/CPB Project

Contents

pt. 1. A literate society -- pt. 2. The computing machine, pt. 1 -- pt. 3. The computing machine, pt. 2 -- pt. 4. Communicating with a computer -- pt. 5. Data representation -- pt. 6. Putting data in -- pt. 7. Getting data out -- pt. 8. Storing data -- pt. 9. Secondary storage -- pt. 10. Processors -- pt. 11. Computer operations -- pt. 12. Personal computing -- pt. 13. From micros to monsters -- pt. 14. System analysis and design -- pt. 15. Problem solving and program design -- pt. 16. Programming languages -- pt. 17. The Programming environments -- pt. 18. Operating systems -- pt. 19. System options -- pt. 20. Computer files and databases -- pt. 21. Data communications -- pt. 22. Office automation -- pt. 23. Computing services -- pt. 24. Computing, organizations, and the individuals -- pt. 25. Computer security -- pt. 26. Issues and trends in computing

Note

Executive producer, Sally V. Beaty ; producer, Glenn Kammen ; writers, Sally V. Beaty [et al] ; editors, Rick Moore [et al] ; original music, Rick Krizman

Edmund Giesbert

Summary

A survey of electronic data, computer hardware and software systems, and developments that will provide the basis for further advancements in data processing
DOS lives on!! View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DOS lives on!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 12:18pm
Oooooo, Annenberg. I love their videos. I have the Earth Revealed series.

If you ever get hold of that series, let us know.
~Ian~

Searching for anything Gateway 2000.
barythrin View Drop Down

Quote barythrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 1:38pm
It sounds remotely possible that someone with college or library access might be able to rent it and then if it happens to get backed up or something by accident I mean.. it'd be a shame of course but welcome. ;-)
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DOS lives on!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 1:16pm
There's a library about 120 miles away from here (High Point, NC) that has this series. Quite a drive, but maybe I'll find a way to get down there.
~Ian~

barythrin View Drop Down

Quote barythrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2012 at 6:57pm
I just happened to find this library searching site searching for something that I've now forgotten lol but it reminded me of this thread. This seems to be the video. Perhaps it's the same site the original poster found as well but thought it was interesting if anyone had it available near by. Apparently it's at a local Austin Community College library here in town but I doubt I can go rent it without being a student.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DOS lives on!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 8:54am
That is the same site that I located this video series with. The one near me is in High Point, NC.
~Ian~

Post Reply Post Reply