Forum Home Forum Home > Old computers > Mainframes & dinosaurs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Large Plastic Encased Disk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ospring87 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ospring87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large Plastic Encased Disk
    Posted: 22 February 2011 at 7:31pm
My boss and I found a large reddish plastic encased disk at work today and have no clue what it was called. They said that it was used in the 80s to store information and then transfered between locations.

The only information we have is that it was made by NCR and had this number on the label: NCR 007-2390501.

The disk was the size of a record and a little thicker. It was reddish in color and a pretty hard plastic/metal but could be bent without breaking. It was in a plastic case that came apart when it was placed into some sort of drawer to be written to. The case was a light cream color. It had March 1983 stamped on it but not sure when the company actually started using them.

I'm just curious if anyone has any clue what these were called, what type of machine used them and how much data they stored?
Mike Newcomb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Mike Newcomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2011 at 7:17pm
Are you able to provide some photos?

By the size of a record, I presume you mean an LP about 12-15" in diameter.

If there is only one platter (red coloured disc), on ICL computers they were called an EDS5. Meaning Exchangeable Disc Store, holding 5 million characters.

The platter is recorded on both top and bottom surfaces.

As a matter of interest, where are you based? I am in Hammersmith, West London.

Good Luck - Mike
Phil14 View Drop Down

Quote Phil14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 11:43pm
I have still got loads of these disks brand new in boxes on the roof of my old computer room
Along with silent 700 terminals with acoustic hoods
I/2 in tape drives
300 mb 10 platter disk packs and the drives that they work on
Loads of memory boards fo TI 990 systems 16k , cache memory
, along with complete systems, I would like to find a good home before
They knock down the computer centre
Regards
Ps I have knowledge on many computer systems which I would like
To share before I kick the bucket
Phil14
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 12:04pm
It sounds a bit like a NCR 6580 removable disk pack - I think they held about 500 or 600 MB. They were loaded into cabinets, which were about the same size as a top loading washing machine. The pack was screwed on, then the lid lifted off and the cabinet closed.

These were considerable more reliable than you'd have expected for something which was manually knocked about and exposed to the air.

They were in active use at one UK site until at least 1990, as I was used to work in that machine room.

Post Reply Post Reply