Forum Home Forum Home > Old computers > Mainframes & dinosaurs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Diode Matrix ROM patch panel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
timro View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote timro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diode Matrix ROM patch panel
    Posted: 25 July 2008 at 2:47pm
Hello all,

I have an old memory patch panel, probably a diode matrix. Estimated to
be from the early 60's, maybe IBM?

I am interested to find out more about this - any information such as
documentation, model, or what it belonged to would be helpful.

Thanks!

Edited by timro
Mike Newcomb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Mike Newcomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 5:45am
Hi Timro

I do not recognise this from my IBM days, but there were so many different units, I doubt anyone knows (or saw) them all.

Suggest asking the same question at:-

http://www.thegalleryofoldiron.com/index.html

Advise how you get on.

As a matter of interest where are you based? I am in Hammersmith, West London.

Good Luck - Mike
Graham Hinton View Drop Down

Quote Graham Hinton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 10:04am
This is a Sealectro matrix panel, but I doubt if it is a memory judging by the number of rows and columns and the labelling. Also this one has a mix of diode pins and smaller pins which are just shorts between the rows and columns.

They used to be used in programmed controllers, before microprocessors and EPROMs were developed, for factory automation, big lighting displays (eg Piccadilly Circus, Times Square) and in test equipment.

When I worked in a nuclear physics laboratory in the early '70s I had a CAMAC Controller with a 24-bit serial TTL CPU that used a 24 x 32 one of these as its main program memory. We wrote our own cross assembler on a PDP10 which printed out a pattern of full stops and asterisks where you would expect to see hex code now. I then had to plug the board up using the pattern as a guide. We wrote a stepper motor control program that turned a micrometer vernier handle in a sequence for one experiment--all in 32 24-bit words! Later the matrix was upgraded to denser Ghielmetti 24 x 64 matrix boards and we had four modules to give a whole 256 words of memory. The whole system cost more than a house at the time, more a small village, and the 36-bit PDP10 users looked down their noses at us using a mere 24-bit machine.

Sealectro folded sometime in the 80s. They also made RF connectors, but there was no longer a market for these matrices.

However if anybody has or finds one, even just the diode pins, please contact me.
Mike Newcomb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Mike Newcomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 6:20pm
Hi Graham - thanks for responding.

Always nice when a mystery is solved.

Sadly the original poster never replied, and the query is now over two year sold.

Regards - Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply