Forum Home Forum Home > Old computers > Mainframes & dinosaurs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NCR 315 Mainframe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Raynokla View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Raynokla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NCR 315 Mainframe
    Posted: 01 April 2005 at 12:02pm
I am a retired NCR Computer tech.
The first system I was trained on was the NCR 315 (this was in the 60s)
I am looking for PHOTOS of the old relic.  Anyone know where I might locate them?
Retired NCR Computer Field Eng.
dhulse View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote dhulse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 4:54pm

I just stumbled on your post while browsing Google. There are a copule of images I found in Google if you search for ncr 315, but very limited.

The NCR 315 was also the first computer I worked on. Got trained in Dayton, at the factory, in 1967 - 1968. A full year in school by the time I was trained on the 315 and peripherals, along with 402 check sorter, C6000 cash register (!!) and Class 41 & 42 teller's machines. I stayed with NCR until 1977 and got trained on Century 100 & 200 systems. So many head crashes; used to drive me crazy! I worked in Chicago during that time.

Raynokla View Drop Down

Quote Raynokla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 5:18pm
I started with NCR in 1964, was trained on the 315 and 404 in 65 &66

Trained on the Century in 1969.  After that, I went to so many Schools I can't remember them all.  Spent half my time in school.

I retired in march of 2000 after the Y2K worry was over.

I'll give Google a try

taipan89 View Drop Down

Quote taipan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 3:13pm
I too started on the 315 in about 1966.  Based out of the Santa Barabara Branch office, I supported the 315 at the Pt. Mugu NAS 'Pacific Missle Test Range'.

Training was in Dayton at the 'old school' in building 10.  I live over on "K" st, near the credit union.  It's been so long ago that I've forgotten the names of the people I work with back them.

I wish I could find a good image of a CRAM unit, no one believes me about what monsters they were.

Marty Osborn
Charles Wellen View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Charles Wellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 9:10pm
Wow, this is like a homecoming, but I was there before all of you, in Hawthorne in 1963. I worked as an engineering aide in the test equipment lab attempting to build automatic test equipment for the various sub-assemblies that made up the beast. I wish I could just remember some of the specs of that machine. I remember registers being made of ferrite cores with the hair-fine wire threaded through them, three wires per core, they could not have held more than 1024 bits, which is 128 bytes! I am inclined to guess that the total machine RAM was about 16K, but CRAM took up the slack there, when it was working. We used to remark to each other that we could never afford to buy the product we were making. How things change!

Speaking of change, I retired from the US Forest Service, where I spent my days walking through the woods measuring trees, land area, stream flow, and other statistical stuff. I had to get away from all those electrons, or go nuts! My job title with the Forest Service was Forestry TECHNICIAN. So I kept that much of my natural talent intact, but applied it in a totally different way.

I recall some names I worked with. Floyd Powell, engineer. Les Kaldor, Tech. ??? Quinn, draftsman.
It was a good job, but lousy pay.
d_sprague View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote d_sprague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 10:48am
found this while looking for info:
http://www.computable.nl/artikels/archief3/d45hb3mx.htm
Raynokla View Drop Down

Quote Raynokla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 10:59am
d_sprague

Link is invalid.   You must have typed something wrong.

taipan89 View Drop Down

Quote taipan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 11:49am
In reply to Charles message; The 315 had 10k of main memory, but that was upgradable to 40k, the RMC had more but can't remember how much. Each individual 'core' panel was 400 bits. I rember write programs and having to reading overlays in from tape or CRAM.

I worked out of the Santa Barbara Branch Office before going to 315 training in Dayton. I think my managers was Alto Tenalo. I also work at the refurb center in Sparks and later in Rancho Bernardo on the Century series, managing the NEAT/3 development.
Sebastian Alonso View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Sebastian Alonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 10:07pm
NCR Days

I was Head of Customer Support for the Central America & Caribbean Support Center, in Caracas, Venezuela, between 1966 and 1971. I learned the 315 and afterwards went to Dayton to learn about the Century, while it still was quite hush-hush. I was the first Century instructor for Central America & the Caribbean. Still remember NEAT/3, which I taught in Venezuela, Jamaica, Panama, Mexico, Trinidad and other countries. I also helped develop an on-line operating system for banks, together with Paul Fundenburg. And I still am a decent programmer... :-)

David C. Burns View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote David C. Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 6:43pm
NCR donated its corporate archives to the Dayton & Montgomery County Historical Society several years ago. They would certainly have an image of a CRAM, although I don't recall one on their website. They do have some NCR photos on the site, and maybe could be encouraged to put up one of that incredible machine.

http://www.daytonhistory.org/nat_treasure.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>