Forum Home Forum Home > Old computers > Mainframes & dinosaurs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Datachecker/DTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
seth100 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote seth100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Datachecker/DTS
    Posted: 15 March 2006 at 2:35am
Hello all! New here! The first computer I was proficient on was the Datachecker/DTS 2000 by National Semiconductor. I was trained on them at a Kroger grocery store in 1995. I would love to have one, but I can't find them anywhere. I can't even find a picture of one! Anyone know where I can locate one of these obsolete macines?
john43123 View Drop Down

Quote john43123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 11:32am
Hi Seth. Did you ever find anything on Datachecker/DTS 2000? I, too, was trained on them in 1996 (Giant Eagle, Pittsburgh) and have been searching for information related to them. Any luck?
ktkatt View Drop Down

Quote ktkatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 1:58pm
Hi Seth & john. We are actually running a version of datachecker now. check out s-18.com for pictures and everything else
ktkatt
Rockin Ron View Drop Down

Quote Rockin Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:42pm
I worked for Datachecker from 1987 to 1996 worked on C1600 C1700 C1800 Fujitsu ATM and various ICL mini Mainframes in Tampa Bay Florida. Worked on some DTS machines i hated them.
gbubba View Drop Down

Quote gbubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 4:30pm
I worked for Datachecker from 1974 until 2003
Mike Newcomb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Mike Newcomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 3:52am
Hi Ron - what were the ICL machines you worked on?

Regards - Mike (based in Hammersmith, West London)
terrapindundee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote terrapindundee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 5:22am
Not Ron I'm afraid, but ....

I worked for ICL briefly on the LEO III-26 in Charles House (just up the road from you ?) back in the 70's during the fuel crisis, getting to work was fun, finding which petrol stations had stocks. I mostly to worked on Ampex drives as I had experience of TM4's from the MOD.

Mike H.

Edited by terrapindundee - 25 August 2011 at 5:23am
Looking for a PDP7 / some hope, but I'm still looking.
Soemtron.org - one of the earliest electronic calculators.
Mike Newcomb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Mike Newcomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 6:27am
Hi Mike

The huge Charles House government office complex is no more. It has recently been demolished and luxury (expensive!) flats are in the process of being built.

For a dozen years I worked walking distance from there in Earls Court. One of my operators left to work in the BT computer site there.

When I started with ICL equipement, mostly there was the 1900 range, and (I think) occasional System 4's, LEO's and Atlas's. These last two were names used/retained for historical reasons. So many ranges as ICL was formed by amalgamating a number of companies, each with their own offerings.

Interestingly, the LEO's were conceived just down the road towards Hammersmith. This was due to some far sighted individuals at Joe Lyons realising they had a need for a computer, but at the time they were not available. So they built one (LEO = Lyons Electronic Office)

I once attended a lecture by Dr or Prof Pinkerton, leader of the team who built it.

Joe Lyons is also no more due to management failings and little remains of its huge complex. I frequently pass their War Memorial, which has been relocated to Margravine Cemetary in Barons Court, containing the names of hundreds of their employees.

Regards - Mike

Edited by Mike Newcomb - 29 August 2011 at 6:36am
Alpha View Drop Down

Quote Alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 12:48am
I work with National Semiconductor/Datachecker/DTS From 1982 (Santa Clara) 1992 (Los Angeles)
Standpoint
POSguy View Drop Down

Quote POSguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 4:12pm
I worked for Datachecker when it was Nat'l Semiconductor. Worked field service in the Los Angeles area. This must have been in the 70's. I do remember doing system installs, had to load up the backroom (NS1600) cpu with IBM cards, The POS terminals
were based on the IMP-1600 16 bit micro by National Semi.

A lot of hours but also had a lot of fun. I remember the blue Falcon station wagon company supplied cars and hauling around the teletype model 33 in the back.

I started in POS with Singer Business Machines (Los Angeles), later worked with Victor Comptometer (Los Angeles), they had a standalone ECR built on Rockwell LSI chips. We repaired at the component level. Even worked for Sweada out in Semi Vally for about 6 months.

Later worked for a POS company in Santa Clara, CA. We carried about 8 or more different brands. We had a high end restaurant system based on HLX. One of the engineers designed the All Bottle Liquor control system (now Berg All Bottle System).

Well, nothing stays the same and life moves on.

Glad I found this forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>