Robotrons in Angola, by Rui M.
These machines were intensively used in
Angola-Africa in the Min. of Defense .... A total of around 20 units were
sold in Angola.
This machine arrived in Angola without any supporting software for
programing except the CP/M itself.
The screen had a strange number of collums (64) and lines (16) and so, it
was not easy to program... It had as well a strange "diskette
My company was inquired to do some programming for the machine mainly to
process the "salary&payroll for military"
As we had made the same job for SORD´s
for the same reason and as we had the same application allready running
under CP/M , made in Cobol on our CASIO´S
and NEW BRAIN machines ...
So, we changed all source code to the strange lines and columns of
After the compilation and testing in Casio, there was the problem of the
diskette... So, as the NEW BRAIN came with a nice diskette program which
permitted us to "program the number of tracks and sizes of the disks
to be formatted" whe used this facility on a long "trial and
error basis" to find what was the right "format Robotron
accepted" ... We then formatted the diskette in the NB as Robotron´s
After that we put the CASIO compiled program in one disk in one of the New
Brains diskettes and the blank formatted diskette in the other diskette
and copied the compiled program to be used in the Robotron.
We were never able to put the Robotron using the 80/24 lines specified in
The programs ran nicely on the Robotrons after all this preparation...All
this exercise was due to the fact that no necessary support was given by
Robotron to Angola and because to export anything with chips and software
to Angola then was necessary to have special EXport licences.